Hi I've been doing a Landscaping Project...

Asked by Anonymous on 02-03-2015 15:57:43
Question posted in the General Law category relating to Gauteng
Question value: R 0.00


I've been doing a Landscaping Project for a client (another Landscaper) who wanted to make use of my services as they do not have the resources, hence my buisnees being the sub-contractor.

It's a small project, my costs in total +/-R29K of which I received a Deposit of +/- R13K, less than my 50% required.

After we completed the project and supplied all the goods, the client (other Landscaper) with snags/queries ie. grouting not good, cement finish untidy etc - looking for small detailed finishes to complain about. In my opinion the Job has been completed as quoted and specified.

After running back numerous times to attend to the concerns the client now put the folloiwing options to me:

You finish the work to satisfaction as a matter of urgency.
I retain the balance of the money owed to correct your work and reserve the right to claim the balance of any expenses so incurred, which exceed the 50% I am retaining from you
I will be opting for No 2, but do not want to agree to the " reserve the right to claim the balance of any expenses so incurred, which exceed the 50% I am retaining from you"

My questions therefor are:
1. Can the client have a right to hold me responsible for costs exceeding the balance I'm owed for goods and services already supplied

Ask your OWN Legal Question!

If you would like to view the entire answer, you will need to either login or register a FREE account.


DISCLAIMER: Advice or answers from Lawyers on SA Legal Advice are not substitutes for the proper advice of an Lawyer. SA Legal Advice is a public forum and questions and responses are not private or confidential or protected by the attorney-client privilege. The Lawyer who assists with your question is not your Lawyer, and the response above is not to be considered to be legal advice. You should not read this response to propose specific action or address specific circumstances, but only to give you a sense of general principles of law that might affect the situation you describe. Application of these general principles to particular circumstances must be done by a lawyer who has spoken with you in confidence, learned all relevant information, and explored various options. Before acting on these general principles, you should hire a lawyer licensed to practice law in the jurisdiction to which your question pertains. The responses above are from individual Lawyers, not SA Legal Advice. The site and services are provided “as is”. This site is not for emergency questions which should be directed immediately by telephone or in-person to qualified professionals. Please carefully read the Terms of Service.